Dental infections also known as a dental abscess or tooth abscess is a bacterial infection that can affect the teeth. Due to improper oral hygiene, the bacteria in the mouth can affect the soft tissues causing pain and infection. Dentists in Siliguri provide treatment for dental infection control and prevention. Dental infection can cause severe complications if treated lightly.
Table of content:
1. What is a dental abscess?
2. Symptoms of dental abscess
What is a dental abscess?
A dental infection or abscess is the formation of pus inside the teeth or gums. This is often caused due to the bacterial infection that has accumulated in the soft pulp of the tooth.
Bacteria that exist in plaque which is a by-product of food, saliva, and bacteria in the mouth, damage the gums. If the plaque is not removed on time the bacteria spreads inside the mouth and affects the soft tissues of the teeth and gums causing an abscess.
Dental infection can be of various types:
- Gingival abscess- This abscess is only on the tissues and does not affect the tooth
- Periodontal abscess- This starts in the supporting bone tissue of the teeth
- Periapical abscess- Affects the soft pulp of the teeth
Symptoms of dental abscess
The symptoms of dental abscess should not be overlooked. If you are having difficulties visit your dentist in Siliguri and get early treatment for a better cure. The symptoms of a dental abscess include:
- Pain in the area infected when biting or touching the area
- Sensitivity to hot, and cold food and liquids
- Foul taste that lingers in the mouth
- A feeling of nausea
- Difficulty in opening the mouth
- Issues in swallowing
There are several ways in which one can prevent and treat the dental infection. It can be prevented with proper oral hygiene. Treatment of dental infection needs to be done with the consultation of a dentist.
The treatments include:
- The incision is the method in which the abscess is removed and the pus drained out
- Root canal treatment for removal of the periapical abscess
- If it is a periodontal abscess then the abscess will be drained and then the periodontal pocket is cleaned.
- Pain management with antibiotics
A dental abscess can cause severe issues like osteomyelitis, cavernous sinus thrombosis, and Ludwig's angina. To prevent such issues it is recommended to treat the infection in the early stages. Dentists in Siliguri suggest that dental infection be treated at the earliest because a delay may lead to the worsening of the issue.
The control measures for dental abscess include:
- Avoiding food or drinks that are too hot or too cold
- If you already have an infection, use the other side of the mouth to chew food
- Brushing and flossing regularly
- Use a soft toothbrush